Sino ba si . . .

My photo
babae/ nurse/ midwife/ social scientist/ iska/ bookworm/ professional student/ dakilang tamad/ reklamador/ hamster lover/ eurasian/ isip bata/ pervert/ paniki/ introvert/ wannabe cook/ pseudo vegetarian

Monday, 22 January 2024

The hunt for the homiest flat: An OFW's search for a home away from home Part 1

 10/06/2019

Copied

So I moved from the North East down to Southwest
to be nearer my mom who is already in her late 60s.
I resigned from my job as there was no point in me suffering
when I could do something about it and move.

I was so uncomfortable and felt constant unease in my former workplace
that it affected me mentally and I suffered from bouts of anxiety.
I even suffered an episode of depersonalization.
I found myself one day totally disconnected from myself,
it was as if I was observing this other person, this other me.

I could hear her thoughts and my thoughts and they were not congruent.
That is when I realized, that I had to move or else
I would bog down and die in that hellhole of a place.
I was so stressed I looked like I was 100, it was not healthy.

Anyway, I moved in temporarily with my mom,
most of my stuff went into storage some of my stuff
I had to leave behind, some were donated to charity.

I opted to have my stuff stored, all 8 boxes plus a luggage.
I used sevenseasworlwide
They might not be the cheapest but they are straightforward
and easy to contact.
Instructions are clear in the website; boxes and packing materials
are technically free (included in the price).
I asked them to extend the storage service several times as I was still searching for a flat.
It was done promptly with additional charges of course.

Anyway, I scoured the internet for a new flat by using the postcode.
My new workplace is more accessible by car as it is situated near a
national road or motorway; I do not drive so my recourse is to find
a flat near the bus station or a bus stop at least.

I used the following sites:

  1. Zoopla
  2. Rightmove
  3. Spareroom

The sites are the main ones I have used in my search, I found my flat through Rightmove.
I wanted a property wherein I had my own toilet (en suite) and the bills preferably included,
near the town center if not my workplace in a quiet environment.
I wanted a flat for non-smokers as well.
Yes, I am picky but I had to, to preserve my sanity.

I will post about the nitty-gritty details in my next post.

No comments: