19/07/2017
Copied
http://www.newsinfolearn.com/2017/07/open-letter-to-st-scholasticas.html
Read this angry parent's letter wherein a school allowed his minor age daughter to participate in a rally organized by adults.
I too have been victimized when I was in UP.
My professors swore they would never bring us to NPA infested areas. The exact opposite was true.
They assigned us to local orgs like Akbayan and used us to gather info during our "courtesy calls" to local government offices.
We were sandwiched between the military and the NPA.
I remember almost quitting school to follow their advocacy of socialism.
They made it seem like a brave adventure - fighting for the country's poor and for motherland's sake.
I thought about it over and over.
It would break my mother's heart just to disappear like that. I was her only child after all.
I have not read Lualhati Bautista's Dekado '70 yet.
Schools are protected areas for children.
We are not supposed to shield them from the harsh reality of daily toil of life but these educators are tasked to educate them, provide them with practical skills and teach them how to think for themselves.
Do not use the youth because it is their nature to be headstrong and young minds such as these would only say yes to their elders.
If there is one thing that UP has imparted to me, it is critical thinking; that goes for all schools as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment